Friday, October 17, 2008

October 17 UPDATE

Hello All~
Just wanted to give you all the latest update. I have been busy the last several weeks getting scans, labs and a biopsy. I have decided to participate in a clinical trial, and I was glad to find out I qualified for it! I got my dr's blessing for it, with an assurance that I could stop it at any time and can go back on what we know has been working. My last scan after 6 weeks of Abraxane showed great improvement! When I thought about doing a clinical trial, I did not realize that you basically had to do this research on your own. The docs aren't out there trying to save "Leslie Miller". They are just doing what they are allowed to do, until better drugs become available. So hopefully I can be part of that process. I have thought this through, because my feeling is that I would like to be able to help myself as well as someone else. So when I called about this particular trial, all the doors seemed to open for me to do this. I feel like I have nothing to lose, and it may help those of us fighting this beast! I started taking the drug today, which is for chronic myleiod leukemia. Apparently, there are some similarities with breast cancer. The drug is not new, so I'm at ease with trying it. It does not seem much different from trying something new, as the dr. has before! The study is through Duke, but I will see the study dr. in Kernersville. I went to Forsyth Medical Ctr. yesterday for the biopsy. Thankfully, these have not been great distances to travel to and from.

Keep me in your prayers as I go along this new path. I'll be anxious to see what the results will be in 4 weeks. Thanks to you all for all the prayers sent up on my behalf this far. I know the Lord has truly been looking after me throughout this ordeal. My strength has come from Him to endure it all!

No comments: